4 red onions
5 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of lemon rind
10 sage leaves, cut into strips
4 dried tomatoes, cut into strips (optional)
100g of walnuts
2 tablespoons of honey
A pinch of dried chilli
A pinch of turmeric
1 tablespoon of parsley, finely chopped
400g of ribbon-shaped pasta (such as tagliatelle)
1. Start with the red onion. Cut off a slice from the top and bottom of each onion, remove the hard, outer layers of skin and cut the rest into 1 cm slices. Spread at the bottom of an oven dish.
2. Sprinkle the onion with one or two tablespoons of olive oil and a little salt and pepper and place the dish in an oven pre-heated to 180ºC for 30 minutes.
3. Put the honey, turmeric, chilli and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Mix as much tepid water as needed to produce a thick paste. Mix the walnuts through the paste until coated. Arrange the walnuts in a single layer on a tray and place in the oven next to the onion for around ten minutes or until they start to brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
4. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a small saucepan, add the strips of sage and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the lemon rind and (optional) strips of tomato, add a little salt and pepper and set aside.
5. Cook the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water until al dente according to the instructions on the packet.
6. Take the dish with the onion slices out of the oven, and remove any hard outer skin.
7. Drain the pasta, keeping some of the cooking liquid.
8. Transfer the pasta to a serving dish and immediately combine with the sage mixture. While stirring, add as much of the cooking liquid as needed to produce an unctuous appearance. A couple of tablespoons usually suffices.
9. Mix the pasta with some of the roasted onion and walnuts. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately.
Food and wine pairing
Bobal has an intense dark colour and a heart-warming sensual aroma of spices and dried figs. A robust, powerful flavour with the dominant notes of liquorice and dark fruits with tannins and fresh acidity. The tannins are completely evened out by the walnuts and the acidity is deliciously refreshing.